Church of Cyprus

Church of Cyprus

The Apostle Paul, accompanied by Barnabas and Mark the Evangelist (Barnabas' kinsman), came to Cyprus in 45 AD to spread Christianity.

Arriving at Salamis, they travelled across the island to Paphos, where Sergius Paulus was the first Roman official to convert to Christianity. In 50 AD St. Barnabas returned to Cyprus accompanied by St. Mark and set up his base in Salamis. He is considered to be the first Archbishop of Cyprus.

Some Christians say Barnabas was stoned to death by the Jews on the outskirts of Salamis, where he was also buried. A few of the bishops who helped spread Christianity on the island were Lazarus, the Bishop of Kition, Herakleidios the Bishop of Tamasos, Avxivios the Bishop of Soloi, and Theodotos the Bishop of Kyrenia.

Towards the end of the 4th century, Christianity had spread throughout the island. During this time St. Epiphanius was Archbishop. His seat was in Salamis, which was renamed Constantia.

Company Information
Number of Employees 1-50

Nicosia

Nicosia

Street Address

Iera Archiepiskopi Kyprou , Nicosia , Nicosia , 1502 , Cyprus
P.O. Box: 21130
P.O. Box Postal Code: 1502

Contact


office [ at ] churchofcyprus.org.cy
(+357) 22 554 600; (+357) 22 554 611
http://churchofcyprus.org.cy