The old port of Lemesos was constructed in the 1950's decade during the British Administration. It was constructed as a supplement to the Famagusta port as has served the trade and passenger traffic of the country for approximately two decades. According to its construction it was intended to be used as a lighter basin port. With the exception of smaller ships which could moor at its quays the servicing of other ships was done by lighters. In other words, most of the ships arriving at the old port of Lemesos remained at the roadstead and the transfer of cargo and passengers between the coast and the ships was effected by lighters. Until the construction of the new port it was used both as a commercial and a passenger's port and comprised a central live hub for Lemesos town center.
With the construction of the new Lemesos Port in 1973 but also due to the development of shipping industry, its use began to wane and as from 1979 it ceased altogether to play any significant role in the nautical activities. Thenceforth and until new alternative uses could be found and in order to enable it to fulfil its purpose, the Old Lemesos Port was confined to serving fishing boats, pleasure boats and boats of the port police force and of the navy.
The area of the Old Lemesos Port constitutes part of a wider sector of Lemesos which includes the cultural and historical center of the castle, the reclaimed land and the commercial center of the old town.
|Number of Employees||1-50|
Limassol Avenue 5 , Nicosia , Nicosia , 2112 , Cyprus
P.O. Box: 22007
P.O. Box Postal Code: 1516
cpa [ at ] cpa.gov.cy
(+357) 22 817 200
(+357) 22 765 420