The Department of Electrical and Mechanical Services has the responsibility for the planning, design, execution and maintenance of the electromechanical installations of the Governmental buildings and works and the purchase and administration of the public machinery and equipment. Also the Department is responsible for the implementation of legislation, which relates to technical aspects and public safety.
Basic projects in Cyprus- Some of the main electromechanical installation projects that were designed by the Department are the new Nicosia and Famagusta General Hospitals, the new Governmental Buildings in Nicosia, the renovation and extension of the Pafos Court, the renovation and extension of the Larnaka and Pafos Airports, the improvement and the enhancement of the road lighting and some specialized projects as for example the Air Field Lighting of the Larnaka Airport.
Some of the main purchases that the Department has made were the equipment for the Larnaka and Pafos Airports like the x-ray machines and sweepers for the runway, the Angio of the Nicosia General Hospital and equipment for the National Guard Hospital.
Legislation Harmonization - Within the framework of the policy for improving the level of public safety, the Department of Electrical and Mechanical Services drafted the following legislation:
- The establishment and operation of licensed vehicles maintenance and service stations and the professional license of the vehicle technician.
- The safety of the electromechanical installations with the introduction of standards and code of practices for the installation, maintenance and inspection.
- The introduction of minimum criteria for the authorization of third party organizations to perform the periodic inspection of the liquefied petroleum gas tanks by implementing non-destructive methods.
- The introduction of minimum criteria for the authorization of the filling stations to perform the periodic inspection of the liquefied petroleum gas cylinders.
Furthermore, the Department of Electrical and Mechanical Services has drafted the following laws and regulations for the purpose of harmonization with the European Acquis
- Type approval of vehicles, two or three wheel vehicles, agriculture and forestry tractors.
- Appliances burning gaseous fuel.
- Cableway installations designed to carry persons.
- Aerosol dispensers.
- Transportable pressure equipment.
- End of life vehicles.
- Low voltage.
- Electromagnetic compatibility.
Source: Press And Information Office, Republic Of Cyprus, 2005